[TowerTalk] Guy Wire Formula?

Bill MacLane ai4wm at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 21:17:56 EDT 2008

If you are using MS-44 mast sections the mil-spec is 4 guys at each level anchored 25 ft out from the base.  The guys would be at the top of the 3rd, 5th, and 8th section.

Here's a link to a sight that uses a different military mast and a G5RV:
http://virtual1.powersrvcs.com/~www.capcod.org/mastinstr.html

Follow the link at the bottom of the page for the guy locator chart.

I have used several different configurations of masts with 3 and 4 guys.  I like the 4 for safety reasons.

73,
Bill
AI4WM
Alain Michel <opalockamishabob at yahoo.com> wrote: Hello All!

I am in the process of erecting a 40'+ mast to support the feedpoint of my G5RV. I was initially planning 3 wires [Dacron rope] at each level. Should I use 4?

Using A2+B2=C2, how far out from the bottom of the mast should the guys be fastened to the ground? I plan on guying the mast at the 20', 30' and 39' levels.

All suggestions will be most gratefully received!

73,

Alan...KI6HPO

Bill
AI4WM