[TowerTalk] Vertical base insulator material (rename)

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 14:50:29 EDT 2008

I used Oil filled Nylon solid rod that I got at McMaster & Carr.  I used it
on each of the 3 legs on a homebrew version of a HYGain Hytower.  It has
been up for over 3 years and I have had absolutely no problems.  My Hytower
is unguyed and I climb it whenever I need to fix something.  The lattice
structure is made of 27 feet of Rohn 25 and the stinger goes up from there
for a total height of 53 feet.  BTW, Zero 5 verticals use the Oil filled
Nylon for their insulated bases.  It is a pukey green color and has
excellent electrical properties and isn't affected by moisture or sunlight.
Good stuff and cheap.

Bob W6TR