[TowerTalk] Adjustment of the Fulton K1550 winch clutch

Ed ehekman at cox.net
Thu Apr 3 02:59:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

I recently acquired a used tower.  With the help of another member on this
list I have identified the tower as a Wilson MT-61.  Thanks to many of the
participants of this list I have learned a great deal about towers and
installations.

The tower came with a K1550 winch. I understand that this winch uses a
clutch to lock the winch when the tower is extended.  I understand also that
the clutch should be automatically released when the handle is turned to
raise the tower and the clutch is engaged by the cable tension from the
weight of the upper tower sections.  There are two nuts on the clutch shaft
that set the clutch pad spacing or pressure.  I know that the manual says
clearly not to adjust these however on this winch they have definitely been
readjusted.  How are these adjusted to ensure proper operation of the
clutch?

Thanks,

Ed

WB6YTE