[TowerTalk] Full body harness

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Apr 3 12:55:37 EDT 2008

>  The conversation  on this reflector has pointed me in the proper safe
> direction and now I am  looking for personal experiences with the full
> body
> harness and fall  arrest.

Probably the most important item at the time of order is an intangible that
cannot be purchased on-line: Proper training and use of the harness.  I am
amazed at the number of folks who will purchase a full-body harness, not
knowing the first safety-related issue before they ascend a tower.

I routinely draft contracts on behalf of my commercial clients with the
stipulation that unless a contracted worker has been put through recognized
tower training and rescue course (e.g., Comtrain), they are unauthorized to
touch a tower and its components.   You cannot completely buy your way into
safety.

Paul, W9AC