[TowerTalk] Full body harness - Law Suits??

Bill Winkis kc4pe at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 3 14:30:57 EDT 2008

This brings up an interesting subject

. Tower Climbers & Law Suits
.
I had occasion last week to go up one of my
towers to the 100 foot level to re-string a wire
pull rope
as I was beginning to go up, this
gentleman in his early-mid forties stopped on the
road, came over to the tower, 200 feet inland,
and said I didn’t need to climb the tower he
would
.I didn’t know this guy from “Adam’s Ant”.
I politely told him no etc, and he felt hurt and
I upset that I would not let him go up
.
All I could see is him falling and his wife becoming rich women.
Every time a member of the local club has a
antenna project, 20 guys show up...and 3-4-5 end
up climbing and again I know an injured wife
would not hesitate in suiting another member of the club, for all he’s worth
.
Now this is something we all have faced at one
time or another: but has someone some where
written up a semi or full clad wavier etc to
protect the home owner ham and something that
would hold up in case of a law suit
..
Or do we all go out and buy an Insurance
Liability Umbrella Policy to protect us... (If
indeed there is such as thing
!!)
Or does the ARRL offer such an item
??