[TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions? - - - - continued..

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 8 13:18:06 EDT 2008

Thanks Jim,

Did not notice the type-o in the SWR ratio that should have been 2.1:1.

I actually have two Hy-Gain beams, a TH6 and a TH7, both with the same balun
and both with a higher then expected SWR at the lower end of 10 and 15
meters. I don't have a long run on either tower and even the longest run of
100' is fed with hardline so loss is not the problem. The SWR is just high
enough that the rig's fold-back protection kicks in.

What I wish to do is put a pair of bandpass filters on the antenna feed
lines and the manufacture strongly suggests a low SWR to prevent problems in
the filters.

Overkill? Probably - but research is telling me I can potentially have a
more efficient antenna and as a bonus reduce any potential RF on the coax.

As always, information from people in-the-know is welcome.

Thanks again Jim,

de Eric.