[TowerTalk] Fwd: remote switching for balanced lines - homebrew plan

Gary Slagel gdslagel at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 10:53:07 EDT 2008

Thanks for the feedback John,

I haven't decided on the feedline yet.  I'd like to
just use commercial 450ohm window line.. not sure how
it would react at a KW but I've used it with good
success at 100W.  I expect that my 88' on a side
doublets will not have the very high impedances that
Cebick has with his 67' doublets.  He's at a full wave
on 40M so naturally has a high impedance there.  With
my 88' I'm trying to avoid the huge impedances by
avoiding hitting a full wave on the lower freqs.  I'm
still not sure how much luck I'll have tuning a KW but
will cross my fingers and if I have problems on a
particular band I thought maybe I could fool with
adding some extra feedline in on a bad band.

The relays are really my biggest question cuz I've
never played with them before.  It sounds like what
I'm after is a relay with the highest voltage rating?
Of the ones I've looked at the RNF100-SP open frame
relay is rated at 2kv and costs me $8, the
RF1E-26N1137 vacuum relay is rated at 2kv and costs me
$22.50,  medium amp power relay costs me $17.21 and
doesn't show a voltage rating but someone said I could
spread the contacts to 1/2" and effectively achieve a
very high voltage rating... I wonder how high?  Based
on that it looks like, costwise, I should go with the
open frame?  Of course for more money I can get higher
rated vacuum relays but I wonder if its worth it?

Again, thanks for the feedback... any input is
welcome!

Gary

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Lakewood, CO