[TowerTalk] Are my tower dreams in the toilet? (Larry WA9VRH)

Ryan Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:14:29 EDT 2008

I live within a few miles of a local airport (FWN), and I have a 70
foot tower up.

Here's the thing - you can theoretically put up a 1000 foot tower
right next to the airport, as long as you have the FAA perform a study
and you appropriately mark and light your tower, and register your
structure with the FCC.

I submitted an FAA study request and they actually did do a study, and
determined that my tower was NOT a hazard to air navigation.  (The
tower is 109ft at the top, which includes the height of a 2m/440
antenna.)

Trust me - the FAA is the least of your worries.

Your worries in descending order are:

XYL
HOA (if any)
Your wallet
Neighbors
Local zoning board
Overzealous realtors and people who find towers ugly
The FAA.

I see no problem with you being able to put up a reasonable tower with
no problems from the FAA.