[TowerTalk] W6AM Was: Are my tower dreams in the toilet?

Callaway Ed-eaim148 Ed.Callaway at motorola.com
Tue Apr 15 10:49:16 EDT 2008

W6AM purchased the Press Wireless shortwave receiving site at the end of
WW2.  At the time, it had a few rhombics for the trans-Pacific links
used by PW, but W6AM greatly expanded the antenna farm and switching
system.  Later, much of the land was sold (around 1960, I think...), and
Don condensed the rhombic farm, overlapping most of them -- your link
describes that stage of his station.  After his passing, of course, it
was all dismantled.

The definitive reference for all things W6AM is "Don C. Wallace: W6AM,
Amateur Radio's Pioneer," by Jan David Perkins, N6AW (Vestal Press,
1991, 288 p.; ISBN 0911572996).

Ed Callaway, N4II.