[TowerTalk] How to deal with bad fitting Rohn 45 sections?

Kimo Chun kimo at lava.net
Mon Apr 21 13:18:18 EDT 2008

We shipped out about 4 pallets of 45G sections. Almost a third had ends bent
slightly, presumably, during shipment. If you have reasonably good judgment
you can just LOOK at a few section ends and see that a leg may be bent. Find
one section that looks good and use that as a reference. Mate up the "bent"
section and confirm degree and direction of the bend. Lay the tower section
horizontally on the ground with the bent end up. Use a 2" pipe, say, four
feet or so long. Have someone (or two) sit or hold the section down. Place
the pipe over the bent end and bend it the opposite direction to fix the
error. Of course you will have to go slightly past to allow for it springing
back. Once you have the three legs lined up with the reference (or actual
one it will mate with) apply some conductive anti-seize compound in the
female end. This is necessary here in Hawaii if we want them to come apart
more easily later and will help you mate the sections together on the tower.
As Bud advised, marking one leg on both sections to ensure correct mating
with the next section is necessary. Mark the (hopefully only) one that was
bent so you know that up on the tower it is the most likely one you need to
readjust. To mate with existing sections on an erected tower you just have
to assume theirs are true and you got it close with your assumed good
reference section end.

There is always the chance you may need to do slight corrections on the
tower with a hammer and we usually don't have many problems. Since the
corrections up there are slight you probably don't need to protect the
galvanizing as you won't be hammering hard or much but you can opt to use a
strike buffer (or whatever it is called)to reduce the odds of cracking the
zinc.

If you are talking about vertical legs being creased or bent in between
welded webbing within the section you should not use it. In theory and based
on severity the whole section is out of true and should not be used.

We replaced half the sections on 3 towers using this method without TOO many
problems. Of course, I was lucky and was not the man on the tower having to
do final fit. this time.

Good luck.

Kimo Chum, KH7U

At contest station KH7X