[TowerTalk] Mark-V with MFJ-1026

Peter Dougherty w2irt at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 14:37:33 EDT 2008

At 01:33 PM 4/24/2008, George Gorsline VE3YV wrote:
>Peter - it`s easier than that - the Mark-V has all of the
>connections needed for you to use it without having the MFJ unit TR
>switch.  See the following diagram which is for another unit, but
>the connections are the same.  It takes a couple of minutes to
>follow it - not as intuitive as you might think (or I was having a
>dense day).  With this in place, to use the noise canceler, just
>push the RX antenna button.

One step forward, two huge steps back.

I never realized the RX OUT on the back of the Mark V was for the
main antenna's signal (ANT-A or -B) - I thought it was the same
signal that was coming in from the receive antenna. Now that I got
that squared away, I connected the RX OUT to the main antenna port on
the 1026 and the K9AY to the aux. antenna port (i.e. the sense
antenna). Sure enough, I have signals from my yagis going through the 1026.

Two problems:
1) the K9AY being a lowband antenna, I have no noise "sense" on
anything above 40m.
2) on 80m, using the AY and the inverted Vee, even though I am
getting powerline hash using both antennas, there is no setting that
will allow me to null out the powerline noise, period. I WAS able to
do so, to a limited degree at least, when the 1026 had a 30 foot high
noise antenna and the AY as the main antenna. Now, no combination of
preamp on/off, phase normal/invert, phase angle, or antenna gain will
achieve a cut of the 60 Hz buzz.

I'm back to square one, I think. the frequency limitations of the
K9AY are killing me here, I suspect. I'm looking for a one-button
solution to make this all work. Should I just buy another 1025 and
have done with it?

Regards,

Peter,
W2IRT