[TowerTalk] Identification/advice wanted on tower sections

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 16:26:03 EDT 2008

I have 6 commercial (AM Broadcast) tower sections that
I would like to use for a 60' tower, and would be
grateful for advice:

The sections are triangular with tubular verticals,
1.5" OD, ~1.125" ID, and 15" centres. The cross braces
are horizontal - the ones at top and bottom of each
section are 1.5" x 0.25" solid (1.5" dimension
vertical), and the five intermediate ones are U shaped
1.5" x 0.5" with 0.125" section. Each section mounts
to the next with horizontal flat faces with 0.75"
diameter bolt holes (3 at about 11.5" centres). The
sections are heavily galvanised steel, and everything
is welded together.

Hope that may be enough for somebody to identify the
tower type (!). I am not sure how tall it was when in
use, but certainly over 200'.

Five of the sections are as described, but the last
one has solid verticals. As it is _very_ heavy, I
would like to use it for the first section. That would
mean that water could drain down all the sections
above it and would be trapped at the top of the solid
section, which is clearly not good. I can think of two
possible solutions, but perhaps there are others: Put
large washers between the solid and first tubular
sections or drill a hole a short distance into the top
of each  solid section and a drain hole to the inside
of each leg. Not sure I like either solution all that
much, but the tower as erected definitely had solid
sections at the bottom and tubular at the top. Maybe
there was a special connecting section that I don't
have.

Although the sections appear to be vertically
symmetrical, each of the tubular sections has 'TOP' at
one end. The solid one does not, and one of the
tubular sections is marked 'TOP 120'.

I propose to guy the tower at 50', where there will
also be a plate for the rotor, and use 20' x 2"
diameter tube to support the beam (an A4S), with a
bearing at 60'. I suspect it would be OK without
guying, but better safe than sorry.

In the absence of better suggestions I would use Rohn
drawings for concrete/rebar, etc. I live in an
unorganised township, so don't have to submit plans,
but that doesn't mean that I don't want it properly
erected.

Whilst it would probably be better to buy a new tower,
this one is in excellent condition, and was taken down
rather than dropped, and I really like to recycle
things...

Assistance appreciated.

Roger
VE3ZI