[TowerTalk] Type N and PL-259 Connectors for Belden 9913 Flex

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Apr 29 13:17:06 EDT 2008

Mark Spencer wrote:

Just a point. As most of us already know, connectors are not created
equal be they crimp, clamp, or solder and particularly the PL-259
variety.  Most  of the connectors I have will readily accept the flex
versions of 9913 and LMR-400 including some Amphenol.  Some PL-259 crimp
connectors will also accept the larger, stranded center conductor as
will *some* type N (crimp and solder). All of my N-type, clamp
connectors do not although I'd not be surprised if the same kind of
variation exists there as well.
> With regards to "9913 flex" (ie Belden 9913 F7 ?)  you can easily attach standard PL 259 plugs by cutting off one of the strands of the portion of the center conductor that is soldered to the center pin of a PL 259.  Although I wouldn't reccommend this practice, it's arguable how much extra loss and or miss match this would cause over and above using a PL 259 at VHF or UHF.    At high power levels where you would be concerned about the current carrying capacity of the conductors this is probably not a good practice.
>
>   If you are going to use N connectors I would go out of my way to get the correct connectors with the special center pin that will accomodate the larger center conductor.
As I mentioned the clamp type, N-connectors I have do not accept the
larger, stranded center conductor.
I've resorted to clipping the one strand procedure which works very well
with them and leaves virtually no change in the center conductor size
from cable to connector,  but it does take extra care.  I've since gone
to all crimp type connectors.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)