[TowerTalk] sealing goop

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 1 17:45:30 EDT 2008

Roger N0VR wrote:
> So true!
>
> The only way I've overcome that problem is to make connections and seal them
> on the ground before I put things "in-the-air". Then it's just a matter of
> routing cables to wherever they are destined.
>
> A lot of the different wx proofing ideas we have seen over the years are
> very interesting. There are aspects of all of them that are reasonable and
> work well. It's fun to take bits and pieces of others experiences and try to
> make one work for you.
>
> I like the reference to the goop-lined heat shrink. I've never heard of
> that. Anyone have a favorite source for that stuff?

I've used the stuff for quite a few years.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/connectors.htm and it's handled
by most electrical supply houses.

Now the question, WHY go to all the work of keeping the connectors
shiny?  You can reuse them whether they have hot glue stuck to them of
not. I don't reuse PL-259s, but pitch them anyway. The ones on the
LMR-600 are expensive enough to save, but again, why care if they look
pretty or not.   I want the tubing, tape, or what ever to seal tight on
the connectors and cable, hence you will find no tape wound sticky side
out. Normally I just use the commercial heat shrink.  The MMM stuff is
tough and normally only the larger size is needed, but if you have LMR
or CNT 240, or RG8-X Then a short piece of the smaller diameter tube
will give a good seal.  The big stuff shrinks from 0.88 inches to 0.22
inches so it should cover a PL-259 with an adapter to RG-6, or the 240
series cables.  OTOH I'd use an additional short piece of the small
stuff with RG58 or with the 240 series and then shrink the larger size
onto that for "comfort"
> As far as sealing connectors in-place on the tower without using heat or hot
> glue, that sounds like fodder for another thread to share all of our cool
> methods. :-)

I've never had a problem just taping them, but I strictly use the
flooded heat shrink unless I can't get to the area with a heat gun.  I
take the heat gun up on the tower as well.  So even at the bulkhead
connectors at the top of the tower you'll find "flooded" heat shrink
applied directly to the cables and connectors.
> Keep all the great ideas flowing. The sharing of experiences is how we
> learn.
>
> Roger, N0VR
>
> <snip>
> Not bad ideas, but heat and glue guns aren't the most convenient
> things to use when you're up the tower :-)

Just pull 'em up with a tag line.  Once you get used to them they are
pretty much like using any other tool up there and yes, I do have some
long extension cords which I tie off  next to the work area.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)