[TowerTalk] Sources for mast material

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 09:45:50 EDT 2008

Michael Fox (K5MEF) wrote:
> I used Champion Radio's WinMARC tool to calculate the recommended masts for
> my planned VHF/UHF stack.  If I enter an extra safe wind speed of 100 mph
> (my county is 70 mph basic speed), the tool suggests the following masts:
>

> Wall  Yield Strength    Description
>
> ----  --------------    ------------------------------------------
>
> 0.120       40,000      6063-T835         Drawn aluminum tube
>
> 0.120       42,000      2024-T3           Drawn aluminum tube
>
> 0.120       46,000      A 500 Grade B     Structural steel pipe
>
> 0.120       50,000      1010              Carbon steel CDBW
>

> Of course, something even stronger could be used, but just adds extra weight
>

> I need a 10 foot mast and that's too long to ship via UPS, etc.  So I'll
> need to obtain locally in order to avoid multi-$100 freight charges.  But, I
> suspect if I took this list to a local hardware store or Home Depot or
> Orchard Supply Hardware, they wouldn't have a clue.
>

> So, my questions are:
>
> 1)  Does any of this stuff have a "common" name?

tubing (except the last.. which is "pipe")

the 4 digit number tells you which alloy of Aluminum it is (the 6xxx
series have silicon as the primary alloying ingredient).. the Tyyy is
the tempering.

For steel, the A500 is the strength spec
For steel pipe, the 1010 is the alloy (1010 is nothing special) and heat
treat CDBW is an abbreviation for how the pipe was made.

> 2)  What type of place would I go to look for it?

A place that sells metals for industrial uses.  These are all standard
types of aluminum and steel tubing.  If you have a phone book, try the
yellow pages under "Metals"

Here in Los Angeles area, there are quite a few places.  I use IMS
(Industrial Metal Supply) on San Fernando Rd, but that's just because
it's convenient to where I used to work in North Hollywood.

> 3)  How can I tell that I'm getting the right stuff?

The supplier will tell you what it is, and there will be a declaration
of conformity on the invoice...