[TowerTalk] Sources for mast material

Michael Fox (K5MEF) k5mef at mefox.org
Tue Aug 5 21:04:07 EDT 2008

Hi Steve,

We'll you're definitely the guy to know.

To answer your question, the total wind load calculated in WinMARC is:

Wind Speed      Total

70 mph             6,151 in-lb

80 mph             8,197 in-lb

90 mph             10,243 in-lb

100 mph            12,290 in-lb

My central question is the meaning of the "wind speed".  The dialog box says
"maximum wind speed expected".  In my county, basic wind speed is 70 mph
fastest mile, 85 mph 3-second gust.  So I figured the max instantaneous is
probably higher.  So I figured 90 or 100 would be a good number.  But it
really depends on what the meaning of this number is in the MARC tool
(fastest mile, 3-second gust, other).  Can you define?

Also, when the calculated total is 12,290 in-lb, the lightest suggested mast
type shown in the list is a 40,000 in-lb yield strength.  It's almost like
it's looking for something that's at least 3X higher than the calculated
total.  Maybe you could shed some light on that too?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Michael - K5MEF

--

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not a single act, but a
habit. -- Aristotle

  _____