[TowerTalk] Interlacing Quads and Yagis. Yes or No

Bill Gaines AD8P ad8p at wcoil.com
Wed Aug 13 21:09:44 EDT 2008

I am in the beginning stages of a major antenna overhaul here. I already have (but not installed) a Tri-Ex LM-470D tower and I am trying to decide what to put on top of it. Recently I came across a Cush Craft 2 element 40 meter beam so I brought it home to roost. Now I want to decide what to use for 20 thru 10 meters. I really like quads. I had an old HyGain quad many years ago which should have given me or anyone who owned one a bad taste for them but I guess the years have been kind. Now I would like to use a quad again. However I think the vertical spacing between the 2 element 40 and a quad on the same mast would be so great that I wouldn't want to try it. So I have given some thought to building a 2 element quad on the same boom as the 2 element 40. I can beef the boom up to a 3" boom if necessary. I just want to know if someone has done this before and with what results.

Thanks in advance,

Bill AD8P
ad8p at wcoil dot com