[TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 15 20:33:28 EDT 2008

Rick Karlquist wrote:
> It is interesting to note that the Glen Martin aluminum towers do not
> use welds but instead use a bazillion fasteners.  They have their
> own issues, but I suspect they are more amenable to a reliable
> solution than dicey welding.

The same issues do not manifest themselves with welding on steel towers
even though they exist. The reason being the steel is strong enough and
is not subject to some of the idiosyncrasies of welded aluminum alloy
such as separation of the components of the alloy. Steel is also much
easier to heat treat, or in this case, "normalize" IF need be. However,
normalizing is typically used in things such as the welds on the steel
tube fuselage of the so called "rag and tube" aircraft.  I doubt there
are any steel towers that have the  welds and surrounding areas normalized.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)