[TowerTalk] Connection Tower to ground rods

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Aug 17 15:49:04 EDT 2008

Artmouton wrote:
> I have hammered in two 8' copper ground rods.
> Will probably do two more later - they ain't cheap and not easy (although we
> are all dirt and gumbo mud here in South Louisiana.
>
> I now need to attach them to tower base.
>
> I have some coax type shield or some very large wire.
> Which one would be best?

First, I'd use the heavy wire. I use bare #2 for the entire system. I
have used several methods. One simple and effective for the heavy
stranded cable is to fan out the strands so they are parallel and then
use a couple of SS hose clamps about 4 to 6 inches apart. Then curve the
cable gently away from the tower legs to the ground rods. I'd use a
compound rather than the SS shim and then thoroughly water proof it when
finished.  Remember, no sharp bends in the cable.  BTW: Here we have a
mix of sand and clay in layers.
> Then how to connect to ground rod - dissimilar metal connector?

Exothermic weld.  Almost any mechanical connector will looses with
time.  Even the ones for the house electrical ground can often be lifted
right off the rod after only a few years, but much depends on your
climate.  Being fairly wet I'd be sure to use the exothermic welds.
> How to connect to tower - Rohn 55G.
> Prior owner had painted it.
> I will brush off paint area at connection point but do not want to destroy

Brushing with a fine wire brush will work. Be careful with some paint
strippers as Galvanizing is quite active.
If using strippers but sure to follow the directions and wash
*thoroughly* when done.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)