[TowerTalk] LM-470 at 100 MPH

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 15:24:45 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/30/2008 5:23:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, K7LXC
writes:

>  Has anyone had the Triex LM-470 professionally evaluated  for
antenna load capacity in a 100 MPH Basic Wind Speed zone?
Turns out  our local building code will be changing on 1 Jan
09 to require new  structures to meet the 100 MPH
requirement.  I suspect most free  standing crankup towers,
fully extended, may not handle these wind  conditions
unloaded let alone with a good size tribander on them.   How
does an 85 MPH 3 second gust rating of 18 Sq Ft look at  100
MPH?  I would estimate around 4 Sq Ft.

    IMO you're toast. A crank-up will probably  survive if it's cranked down
but a stock LM-470 ain't even close. Maybe your  engineer can find a extended
height that'll work but it won't be very high.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams