[TowerTalk] vertical antenna ground loss

Peter Voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Sat Dec 6 18:04:15 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Steve Hunt
Sent: Samstag, 6. Dezember 2008 23:48
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical antenna ground loss

Peter,

I hope you didn't fall into the trap of just comparing the optimum take-off
angles. It's quite possible for a dipole with a higher take-off angle to be
better than a vertical with a low take-off angle for DX work.

For example, I just compared the elevation pattern of a 45ft monopole
(blue) with the elevation pattern of a 20m half-wave at 40ft (red):

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/dipole_vs_monopole.png

Even though the dipole has a higher optimum take-off angle it beats the
monopole at all low angles. When comparing antennas in this way it is VITAL
to overlay the patterns on the same scale. It's not sufficient to compare
optimum take-off angles.

73,
Steve G3TXQ