[TowerTalk] Cage Vertical ideas wanted.

W5CPT w5cpt at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 7 14:13:33 EST 2008

I have decided to build a Cage Vertical.  I can get about 80 to 100 feet straight up by suspending it from a catenary strung between two of my taller trees.

Two points:

1 The wire I intend to use is Fishing Line. I tried to post the link but it ends up being 3 lines long, so go to cabelas.com and search for  item number wt-12-1511.  I built a dipole out of this stuff and it solders and crimps well and appears to last for a long time.

2. I need ideas on what to use for spreaders.  The 45 lb. test line is .037" which is too big to use a thin slice of 6" PVC drain pipe as I cannot drill holes edgewise into the pieces large enough to accept the wire and small enough to not compromise the strength of the slice of PVC.  I am considering 5 or 6 wires in a 5 to 6" diameter and need some suggestions on what to use.

Suggestions about the spreaders and other comments are always welcome.

Clint - W5CPT