[TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Dec 8 09:04:15 EST 2008

Dave LaBat wrote:

>Current situation is about 45 feet of 12 gauge wire run up a pine tree with
>around 24 radials of various lengths through the yard, certainly not in any
>pattern. The wire runs almost alongside the tree trunk. I use a SGC auto
>tuner at the base. This system kind of works. I can work the DX in the
>Pacific but not toward Europe. I have always thought the antenna is probably
>compromised by being right against the tree. I have no way to pull it away
>from the tree, that would make it visible!
>
>I am  thinking of a 33 foot Zero five flagpole away from the trees. Radial
>pattern won't be much better, still have to deal with a small backyard, pool
>and lots of concrete.
>
>I am trying to improve the performance on the low bands, especially for DX.
>I am going to try to use a high powered auto tuner and up my output to
>around 500 watts. Will probably use a loop for receiving.
>
>I can probably sneak my MA80/40V onto the lot some night and see if that is
>better than the tree.
>
>What does the group think with regard to:
>
>1) 80 meter perfromance of a 33 foot radiator. Any way to improve 80, other
>than a 66 foot element (not happening, 33 feet is as tall as its going!)
>2) Will this be an improvment over the "tree vertical" ?
>
>Thanks all
>
>Dave NT6AA

Dave,

I have a 60 ft top-loaded vertical here on a small lot (5000 sqft). Its
40ft of base insulated/house bracketed Rohn 25 with a 20ft aluminum
water pipe stinger above it. The antenna is pretty close to a 60ft pine
tree (the base of the tree is about 15 feet from the tower). I often
felt that the tree is zapping some "dBs" from the vertical, but there is
no way to prove it. Having the house next to the Rohn 25 with the wire
mesh behind the stucco probably doesn't help either. My radial system is
far from optimal due to the constraints of the lot which may be a bigger
factor in the antenna efficiency than the clutter field (nearby house
and tree). Still the antenna is suprisingly effective for working DX on
80 and 160. I am not "loud", but I've worked a number of Europeans on
160 meters with it and I even managed to finally clear 100 countries
after years of trying. One thing I noticed was that running a full 1500
watts has been helpful. The difference between 500W and 1500W is 4.77dB.
Imagine how much work you would have to do to your antenna to improve
the gain by 4.77dB!!!

If you haven't do so already, you might try pulling the wire further
away from the tree trunk if its possible. Or maybe the 33' flagpole with
a toploading wire slanted up to the top of the 45' pine tree. Optimize
every variable (radiation resistance, ground loss, output power) and you
should do okay. When I am running 1500 watts, I am probably lucky to be
louder than a guy running 100 watts into a full-sized vertical in the
clear with a good radial system, but that's enough to have a little fun
with. As I am sure you know, Europe is tough on 80 and 160 from here due
to the auroral oval (especially on 160 meters). You just have to wait
for the days when the polar cap absorption is low. When the "veil is
lifted", however, the Europeans can be very loud here. I've heard a
number of Europeans S9+ here on 160 meters when the band really opens.
(those are the times when PW guys like me can work into Europe). More
typically I hear nothing at all, so you have to be patient. Same thing
on 80 meters, but to a much lesser extent.

Hope this helps.