[TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Wed Dec 10 11:08:06 EST 2008

Don,

   I built my cage from "weld quality rebar" and it was welded by a friend.
My friend is a certified master welder at a nuclear power plant here in
Virginia.  It took him the better part of a day to do all the work for me.
Believe me, he knew what he was doing and it still took him that long.
Fortunately he did it as a friend, free of charge!  It weighed over 400#
when done.  This cage was built to spec for a USTower 72' stand alone series
of towers.   I wanted to employ a Ufer ground and that calls for a welded
cage.  As mentioned in another post, it requires a special type of rebar
(quality of metal mix is monitored) and it's only a little more expensive
should you decide to go that way.

     Drop me a note if you would like some photos and keep us posted
regarding your progress.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN

Charlottesville, VA