[TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question

Roger White rwhitetexas at verizon.net
Wed Dec 10 11:45:31 EST 2008

For my HDX555 last year, I built my cage in the hole (actually my son did)
with no problems. All of the rebar pieces were cut to the drawing specs
prior to assembly. I had the horizontal pieces (square loops) bent at the
rebar supplier (no cost to bend into shape). I just handed my son the
vertical rods and he wire wrapped the loops starting at the bottom and just
built it up like a big puzzle. As the cage got bigger, we kept it vertical
by supporting it at a few places with short lengths of 1X2's shoved into the
hole wall. This kept the cage fairly vertical. We removed the wood braces
after we got it up to the proper height. We probably over tied the joints,
but it did not move or collapse when we had 10 yards of concrete dumped in.
We tied the top of the cage to the wood frame securely at 8 points around
the cage. It never did move.

Roger W5RDW