[TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Wed Dec 10 15:04:00 EST 2008

Hi Dick,

  Thanks for your email.

  You're right, whether or not a rebar cage requires welding depends on
local codes and/or whose advice you listen to.  I worked mostly from the
information supplied by PolyPhaser and from doing my own research.  I
concluded it wouldn't hurt to do the welds (regardless of contrary opinions)
as it made sense to me and I had a friend willing to do the welding.  The
additional cost was negligible.

    Oh, MY, MY, MY!!  When you mentioned "ditch witch" my body began to
shake and hurt!!  My grounding system called for a 250' trench around my
house, as well as the 3 tower radials in my yard.  Every time I hit a tree
root or rock, I was tossed all over the place.  It was an experience I'll
never forget.  BUT, worse than that was the Cadwelding experience.  Using
the one-shots like you had, was a NIGHTMARE.  I guess I had the first batch
of new molds.  Also, the igniting powder broke loose and mixed with the
welding compound so there was nothing to ignite with, in most cases.  The
folks are Erico stood by me but it was still a nasty, nasty experience.
Here is a link to my photos.  There are a LOT of them and unfortunately,
they're not in any order.  Enjoy...

    http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll147/Apostle10/?start=60

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN

PS  You can read more about my experiences on qrz.com under my call: W4XN

Witch
    >dig three 48' trenches extending from the base and laid the 1/0 wire in
the
    >trenches. Then I pounded in 8' ground rods every 16' in each trench and
    >Cadwelded the 1/0 wire to each rod. Lots of work!
    >
    >You can see pictures of most of this on my website at www.wc1m.com.
Click on