[TowerTalk] Coax Entry

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Thu Dec 11 03:04:12 EST 2008

The best way, is any way the XYL will allow !

But seriously folks...
MFJ, bless their souls, have developed what I think are some
cost-effective new ways to bring coax into the shack, by
way of their new adjustable "adaptive-cable wall plates"
and several new iterations of their window feed through panels.
These allow you to pass both cable and connector through
the wall, and then weather seal it - regardless of the size
of the cable or connector.   (Well... up to a certain limitation,
anyway...lest any one takes me literally.)

I have recently just moved to using bulkhead barrel connectors
that are a six inch threaded shaft with SO-239 connectors on
each end.   I buy larger than normal nuts for these, and bolt them
onto to drilled out plastic switch plates.  I use rubber sheeting and
cut weather stripping insulators for behind the plates.
I will send a photo with a separate email.

Otherwise, I like the notion of remote coax switches that use a
single cable between the rig-shack and the remote switch box
and that can simplify the setup considerably, having only one
coax into the shack.  Those are made for easy grounding and
such by design.

My current plan is to make a wall system like the window system
with aluminum panels outside, providing for a common ground
if I like, and a neat, weather proofed setup out doors.   I will
use a similar metal or plastic panel inside.  The cable connectors
will all be in a row like the window feed through panels look.  Just
through the wall so I can close the window normally.

Otherwise, some use the simple hole grommets the cable TV
guys use.   I will send a photo of those, as well.   Easy, and quick
and cheap.  You can put rubber tape or other material on the
cables and the outdoor grommets to weather seal them.

Just a few ideas, anyway.  Happy trails.

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

best way to have coax enter the shack?