[TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Dec 11 07:29:50 EST 2008

At 07:12 PM 12/10/2008, Edward Sylvester wrote:
>Greetings to the Group!
>
>My friend is going to be installing a dream antenna set up for HF, on one
>tower.  Here's the scenario:
>
>1 ea UST HDX689 89' tower
>1 ea  2 ele Optibeam 80 yagi (17 sq ft)
>1 ea MonstIR 6-40m yagi (25 sq ft)
>1 ea 24' three inch chromally mast
>
>The plan is to mount the 80m antenna towards the top of the mast and the
>Steppir underneath.  Obviously the more space between the two, the
>better.  Will 15' of separation between the two suffice, especially since
>the Steppir can retract all of its elements?
>
>Also, is the system beefy enough?   Your opinions are welcome.....

My impression is that the tower isn't tall enough for that 80M antenna,
unless your friend has a hilltop QTH, which could raise other issues, like
wind gusts and icing.  I have also heard horror stories from one local ham
whose MonstIR has had repeated structural and electrical problems.  I
wonder if others have had similar issues - he could practically buy a crane
with the rentals he's paid.

73, Pete N4ZR