[TowerTalk] fiberglass masts

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Thu Dec 11 11:08:14 EST 2008

This is an antenna support question...so hopefully it is close enough to a tower to allow a little discussion!

I have been thinking about constructing an antenna support of military surplus 48" fiberglass masts.  I would like to get up close to 70', though, both for an inverted vee and to run a wire vertical up it.

Here is what I am considering: using 3 of the masts, joined with U-bolts around (or inside?) of 6" or 8" diameter PVC pipe, sliced into 3" or 4" pieces.  I would rather use u-bolts than drill/bolt through so as not to weaken the fiberglass, and also to make keeping things even a bit easier.

I would guy this at two, or if necessary three levels with dacron rope.

So am I crazy?  Or is there a real structural advantage to this over a single, guyed mast such as the one sold by MFJ?

For the vertical, I am playing with the design for the relay-switched dipole that was in QST a few months ago, using ladder line.  With such a design I could put relays for each band (two each on 40 and 80/75) for full coverage with very little, or without compromise.  Perhaps I could later add base-loading for 160, or a combination of top loading/capacity hat switched in/out and something at the base.  The fiberglass would lend itself to this, and to supporting an inverted vee.

Feedback is appreciate, and since this isn't a true tower (of steel or aluminum), please feel free to contact me directly.

Art, KØRO
atrampler at att.net