[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 40

W5KI at aol.com W5KI at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 10:26:37 EST 2008

Terry,

>From my experience, it is the controller, if the rotor appears to turn
freely and smoothly and just the reading is bad.

Check that the internal pot in the rotor unit goes from "about" zero ohms  to
 "about" 450 ohms moving the rotor full left to full right.   The plug must
be removed from the controller to make the reading.  Easiest  thing is to
visually move rotor, disconnect plug, measure the two  appropriate pins.  Full
left, disconnect, measure (expect zero ohms).   Move "about" 180 degrees right,
disconnect plug, measure (expect 180  ohms).  Then move full right, disconnect
plug, measure (expect 450  ohms).

If that checks okay, I think you have a controller problem (like MANY  of us
have had).  And that is VERY common.

Steve, W5KI