[TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

Gary Slagel gdslagel at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 10:55:41 EST 2008

I'm looking at a 124' 160/80/40 multiband dipole from Hi Power antennas.  Looks like a good product and reviews on eham are good.  It uses isolation coils rather then traps.  I'm not familiar with isolation coils and wonder if anyone has anything good or bad to say about these antennas.  They obviously shorten the antenna up quite a bit.  I've really got plenty of room for a full size trap dipole but haven't seen a full size that I liked real well and this antenna seemed good to me.

Also, I'm planning on 2 antennas 90 degrees from each other.  Should I make sure and get a balun on the thing so that I get the uniform pattern I'm expecting?

Thanks for input!

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351