[TowerTalk] sorry for multiple mails, but had another idea

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 13:57:15 EST 2008

Donald Hofmann wrote:

> [...]

Towers are engineered structures: that is, they're designed to balance
the various loads among the various components in a particular way,
generally with the objective of doing it in a cost effective manner.  If
you start changing the design, you change the distribution of loads. It
might be better, and it might be worse.

A classic problem in introductory engineering classes is showing how
adding a gusset to a 90 degree joint between two members lowers the
ultimate failure load.  The gusset causes the stresses to be
concentrated at the point where the gusset ends.

Amateur towers are interesting, because typically theres a lot of margin
in the design, and there's also lots of "less than catastrophic" failure
modes (e.g. if the antenna didn't fall down in the winter storms, it
wasn't big enough).  Amateurs can also play the statistics game.  You
might live in a X mi/hr wind zone, but that wind speed might only
actually occur once every 10-20 years.

The design has to accommodate the worst case, while the user really only
observes the average case.  If you make a modification, it will probably
still work in the average case, but when it comes to the design case, it
might fail earlier, or in an expected way.

There's also the "luck of the draw" on assembly and material properties.
  A good design has margin in the design to account for the uncertainty
in the welds and materials, so that it will stand up, even if the welder
came in with a raging hangover on top of their cold and wasn't as
careful as hoped, or that some other hiccup occurred.  These sorts of
things are rare events, so the vast majority of towers survive beyond
their "design loads".. but that doesn't mean that the original design
was wrong.  It was just luck.

Jim