[TowerTalk] balloon supported antenna

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 17:00:38 EST 2008

Gregg,
There is a article in this January QST using a balloon loop antenna, I see
no reason it can't be resized and used on 160 meters. It might be worth a
look at for your project. Also, a few years back in QST there was an
interesting article on using a kite for a 160 meters with 1/2 vertical
dipole antenna.

I suspect you would need a pile of ground radial to be effective with a 1/4
vertical, while the loop might be a more wire friendly way to go and
possibly safer. Not being a 160 meter kind of guy, I suspect others will
verify the number of radials required for balloon vertical antenna.
73 Eric - Ve3gsi.