[TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

John fraz1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 16 15:30:03 EST 2008

My personal experience aligns with Jim's.  So does modeling.  The range of 3-10db off the ends of a flat dipole is very typical.  An inverted V will not typically exhibit the same level of nulls of the "end".  I needed BS9 for the last one.  I had a a twenty meter dipole at 66 feet, but BS9 was off the end.  I could barely tell they were there at their peaks.  I quickly put up another dipole with broadside favoring them.  Bingo......they were quite readable and soon were in my log.  I installed the additional antenna in a 30 minute timeframe.

While I'm not a regular to the various mobile oriented nets (Mid-cars, South-cars, etc) one of the net controls used crossed dipoles and swears by them.  If you are talking simply casual QSO's one might argue the value.

73 John K4NP