[TowerTalk] balloon supported antenna

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 18:51:08 EST 2008

The kite project I hinted at, that may or may not be adaptable for a balloon
did indeed use 450 ohm ladder line. The article is in QST, April 2000 called
'NE2Q's Antenna Fell From the Sky' for those wishing to dig into this.
Basically the dipole dropped straight down from the kite line a couple of
hundred feet below the kite, the ladder line was fed at 90 degrees to the
dipole and was also supported by the kite line, and continued down to the
radio shack.

If the balloon could be used to support a dipole, why not configure like an
upside-down 'Y'- The top leg is then 1/2 the dipole, one arm the other half
and the second arm is the feed line.

As far as lifting power of a balloon goes, consider the fellows that fly the
skies in Lawn chairs, with only party balloons. Also, there is no reason to
use heavier copper wire for a temporary antenna when you can buy aluminum
magnetic wire used for motor windings. Somewhere around here I have a roll
of it I 'got' from Emerson motor when they had a plant here in town. I would
suggest a tag/safety line for any wire in case of wire breakage.

The radials I first mentioned would have to be used on a 1/4 wave vertical,
yes I do know you don't need radials for a dipole. I just don't know how
effective a few radials would be at ground level for a 1/4 wave vertical and
I don't want to open that can of worms again on ground losses.

73 Eric.