[TowerTalk] Best way of getting line over tree

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 20:45:58 EST 2008

>Do not use a compound bow, unless you are on your own 40.  A friend put his
>line over the 100 foot light pole in the football stadium and the arrow landed
>a half block away!  It stuck in a neighbor's lawn.

Which brings up an important point.  To some extent there's no one
best way.  What works for you depends on your environment.   Tall
trees out in the sticks with none nearby and plenty of unpopulated
room?  You can try just about anything.  In a built up area with lots
of houses and trees?   Not everything is going to work because some
methods may get you arrested or the projectile may land on someone
else's roof or get hung up and dangle out of reach.  I'm in town with
lots of houses all around me.   I put a 2 oz lead weight carrying 10
pound nylon fishing line over a pine tree in my front yard with a
slingshot and I had to stand in the middle of a state highway to make
the shot.  I got lucky on the first try and the weight didn't break
any windows or windshields.  I did this at dawn on a Sunday morning.

If you are in town in a law suit happy place It might be worth it to
contact a professional tree service and find a guy who will moonlight
and climb your trees on his day off and place the lines for you.  A
pro can get way up in a tree in about ten minutes and you can tell him
exactly where you want the rope and he might obligingly remove some
annoyingly in-the-way branches for you too.  I have a guy here who
could do the job in 30 to 60 minutes; that's for two trees and the
last time I got him out here he charged me fifty dollars to get rid of
a bunch of high branches that had the nerve to get in the way of one
of my antennas.  Because he gets up in trees all the time to make a
living, he was fast, had all the tools and safety gear needed and he
didn't waste any time.     If you hire someone, make sure you use
thick dacron rope and good pulleys so it lasts.  don't use those cheap
hardware store pulleys--they are not designed to be outside for years
and in 2 or 3 years they will disintegrate.  Get stainless steel boat
pulleys.

73

rob / k5uj