[TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals (again)

Larry Comden lcomden at verizon.net
Sun Dec 28 08:41:40 EST 2008

TTers,

Looking for advice about multi-band verticals.

I've used a full size ground mounted 40M 1/4 wave vertical on Field Day and DXpeditions.

Its tubing starts at 1.5" and tapers to 3/4" at the top. All pieces fit in a golf case.

At one location I attached a wire of approximately equal length to the top of the vertical.

For 40M the wire was parallel to the tubing and connected to the base (not ground).

For 80M operation the wire was raised to a horizontal position to form an inverted L.

For our next DXpedition (CQWW WPX) I'd like to add 160M to the mix.

Suggestions received so far:

1. Use the 80M config as a 1/8 wave on 160 with a tuner at the feed point - tuner would be in the circuit for all bands;

2. Use the vertical a just a support for two full size 80M and 160M inverted Ls with separate feeds;

3. As in #2 but all 3 antennas connected to a single tuner - a kind of fan monopole.

4. Forget nos 1,2 and 3 and use the HF2V arrangement recently discussed on TT.

    I personally don't like coils and traps.

73

Larry K3VX