[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 28 18:23:38 EST 2008

I have yet to install my AV-640 which remains in the box  -- I am
STILL all unsure, worried, and obsessing over how I can install
it over the front corner of my attached garage or other location
in the yard.  (I have a big 43 foot monopole vertical in the middle
of the back yard...) and have been considering:

1)  20 feet of RG type lightweight tower (e.g. two sections)
	braced against the house/rafters/eaves

2)  A twenty foot  1.75 inch heavy galvanized iron water pipe,
	set in a couple feet of concrete at the base, and  braced
	against the house/rafters/eaves

3)  a 3-5 foot roof tower and 5-foot mast set in the middle of
	the garage roof.    (Wife does not favor holes in the roof...
	but is OK with options 1 and 2 - but will not cry about this
	option if it is best and can be done safely and securely -
	and I share these concerns... especially after the 50 mph
	wind storm last night that shook the house all night....)

4)   A ten to 15 foot 2-inch galvanized water pipe set somewhere
	in the yard far enough away from the house and the big
	vertical in the back yard... I can put it AT MOST about 50
	feet from the big vertical if I put it in a corner of the back
	yard, but I have rather narrow side yards (avg sized
	suburban lot)

5)    ????  (Any other options I should consider...)

ISSUE = How to mount it so it can tip down and I can access
it for tuning?    Can I stand on the roof to tune it if it can be
tipped over on the mast or tower section?

ISSUE = How high must it be over the roof (and gutters) if I
brace it against the side of the garage?   How much do the
counterpoise radials droop  (and can I suspend them
with light rope to keep them from drooping without causing
a wind loading or other problem?

ISSUE = How should I guy it if I mount it over the roof
(and gutters) if I brace it against the side of the garage?
I can tie off to the garage sides and roof on three sides
of it, but then the side away from the house/garage needs
something... or does it?   Are three quarters sufficient?
Does not seem balanced that way.    Again, I have a narrow
side yard and do not want a problem with the neighbor kids
or lawn mower service...   I do not have quite the space Roger
has for guys... DO I NEED TO GUY IT... really?   (Yeah... I know
an ounce of prevention...)

ANY IDEAS GREATLY APPRECIATED.   I WOULD LIKE TO GET
THIS UP SOON...

I admit to obsessing, but my big vertical sustained 60 mph winds
last night with no problems, so I am 1) able to finish the project
if assured by good plans, and 2) get good results by good
planning.