[TowerTalk] Knot tying

J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT w2ttt at att.net
Tue Dec 30 11:40:20 EST 2008

Bob,
I was a Cub Scout and wasn't a Boy Scout, even though I had wanted to be,
but my wife signed up our oldest to be a Cub Scout and that led me into
becoming a Scout Leader for the last sixteen years.  So yes, I know my
knots!
:-)
I actually "sell" the idea of Radio Merit Badge and Amateur Radio as a way
to enhance 17 Merit Badges and a bunch of rank requirements.  Our Troop has
several Scouts who are Hams and on Friday we are running a one day
Technician course and exam session.

If anyone wants the training files and flyer let me know!
Below is a plain-text version of the flyer.

The response has been outstanding with 2/3 of the attendees being youth.  So
yes, Amateur Radio is interesting to our youth, but we need to engage them
actively and keep their interest up with activities.

Thanks & 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964
Boy Scout Troop 139, Venture Crew 7373 &

present an

Amateur Radio Technician Class Licensing Course on Friday, January 2nd from
8:30 AM to about 8:30 PM   in the St. John the Evangelist Church basement on
Washington Avenue in Bergenfield.

All are welcome to attend!

There is no age requirement for the course or the FCC examination.  Last
year, several Scouts, Scouters and other youth and adults from the community
took the course and passed the test, either than evening, or in the days
following.

We recommend that each participant review the questions in the question pool
before the all day review session.  The reference text is the "Technician
Class Amateur Radio Element 2 FCC License Preparation" manual from The W5YI
Group at +1.800.669.9594 or from KJI Electronics +1.973.364.1930

To register, please email W2TTT at ARRL.NET with your name and phone number.
You will receive in response, a set of PowerPoint slides and other reference
materials to use in advance of the course and test session.  There is a $40
per person fee, payable at the door, that will cover training materials,
breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks along with one FCC examination.  Please
also bring two forms of identification and your Social Security Number.

Questions?

Please call or email Gordon Beattie, W2TTT at 201.314.6964.

Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

Ask yourself if there was a program outline or feature that would enhance:

First Class Skills
Service to Others
Troop Logistics
Troop Esprit de Corps, and
Merit Badges?.NO... LOTS OF MERIT BADGES,

and provide different learning experiences using
Auditory
Visual
Written, and
Hands-on skills using

exciting activities for Troop and Patrol Meetings or Outings,

wouldn't you want to include it?

Well, Amateur Radio has these features and you can do this in your Troop.

Specific benefits:

.  First Class Skills need to be sharp to assemble antennas and supports
using your knots, be ready with an expansion of your "Ten Essentials" in
case your help is needed on short notice, gain an appreciation for National
and Local government and how they function.

.  Using radio equipment you can provide communications to others at Charity
Bike Tours and Walk-a-thons, and in service to those in need such as the Red
Cross.

.  Use radio equipment to improve the coordination of Troop and Patrol
Activities

.  Use the radio licensing process as a goal for each Scout to further bind
them to the group through on-the-air casual communications

.  The training course and subsequent use of the equipment also enhances
elements of the following Merit Badges:  Citizenship in the Community,
Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Climbing and
Rappelling, Computers, Energy, First Aid, Electricity, Electronics,
Emergency Preparedness, Orienteering, Pioneering, Plumbing, Radio, Space
Exploration, Surveying, Weather, (alas, the now retired Signaling MB, too!)

.                                YES! THAT'S 17 + 1 Merit Badges plus a
bunch of skills for rank ! ! ! !

Cub Scout Requirements for Electricity & Radio Electives and Webelos
Communicator

.        Check the requirements and you'll probably be able to finish most
of them

.        Award an elective point for each element of the activity

.        Use Morse Code as a "Secret Code" for Webelos

How do you get on the air?

.        Contact a local Amateur Radio club and ask for a demonstration or a
visit

.        Attend "Jamboree-on-the-Air" in October, "Field Day" in June or

.        Other Amateur Radio Public Service events like charity Bike Tours,
walk-a-thons, etc.

What may I do in Amateur Radio that would interest Scouts and adults?

.        Depending on interests, you might buy a VHF/UHF radio or an
HF/VHF/UHF radio

.        Talk locally or all over the world!

.        Build your antennas - kids love to play with stuff they made

.        Build some of your training tools - Even if they aren't interested
in Morse Code, kids love to tinker & play games with practice
buzzers/oscillators that can be built for less than $10

.        Assemble 72 hour personal and family kits & earn the BSA
Preparedness Award

.        Participate in operating events and emergency drills and exercises

HOW TO GET AN AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE?

.        Amateur Radio Licenses No Longer Require the Morse Code!

.        Contact a local Amateur Radio Club and ask for their help with a
course

.        Have a conversation with someone who knows something about the
subject.

.        Contact Gordon Beattie at 201.314.6964 or email to w2ttt at arrl.net

.        Get course materials --> "Technician Class Amateur Radio Element 2
FCC License Preparation" manual online or from KJI Electronics
+1.973.364.1930

.        Go to a class at a Community School, Amateur Radio Event or a
Gordon West School

Resources

American Radio Relay League (Amateur Radio's National Organization)

http://www.arrl.org  Publication: "Ham Radio License Manual"

1.888.277.5289 (8-4, M-F) 1.860.594.0200

Scouting & Amateur Radio http://www.arrl.org/scouts/

Training Resources   http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/guides.html

Study Guide Online   http://www.qrz.com/i/study.html

Practice Test Online http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl