[TowerTalk] Topband: RFI

Wm. Freddy Curtis curtisf at dtccom.net
Wed Dec 31 12:59:27 EST 2008

John,

I had a similar problem with the Yaesu G-450XL controller.  I had got an
Ameritron-811H Amp into an Inverted L 3 ft from tower.  I fried the
controller.  Got a used controller off of e-bay, however I forgot one
evening and fired up the amp and puff....  I bought a MDS Ham Controller
(about 1/2 the price of a Green Heron) and it has a JST connector.  I put
multiple chokes and ferrite beads in various locations on the rotor cable,
with three or four turns, Also got some snap-on chokes from Radio Shack with
multiple turns, but still have the RF. I purchased the toroids & beads from
Palomar Engineering.  I now simply keep the connector to the controller
unconnected when I'm on topband, it is easier now with the JST connector as
the Yaesu controller had the terminal strip on back.  The MDS Ham unit is
more "forgiving" about RF than the Yaesu controller.

Also check out responses to my previous posts here on TT RE: Yaesu G-450XL
RF problems.  Hope this helps, and good luck!

73's,

Freddy Curtis - KC4GUG