[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 and noise?

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Dec 31 17:42:58 EST 2008

Jon Casamajor wrote:
> I have used the Ameritron RCS-4 to switch antennas on my tower for probably
> 19-20 years with zero issues. I recently re-worked my single tower stack and
> while we were doing that, replaced the RCS-4 switch components.  My stack is
> on QRZ so I won’t describe it here. In the past few days I have a S9+60dB
> noise level on 40m that is pretty much constant. The noise on my SteppIR,
> 20m tune, starts off about the same but settles down to maybe S2 or less,
> about what I would expect for conditions.

Is that the RCS4 with a control cable or the one that gets its signal
from the coax? I have two RCS-8s that are direct controlled (IE separate
wires) and I have added jumpers to short out all connectors but the
active one. I did rebuild one, but that was replace all the coax
connectors. They were in really bad shape. The threads of the PL-259s
were just about bonded to the connectors which pretty much destroyed the
RCS8 connectors when I removed the PL259s. Even if they look pretty, if
the threads are ruined they aren't much good for reuse.

I now put a thin coating of silicone on them, the mating threads, and
use flooded heat shrink tubing over the whole works. I make sure not to
get any of the silicone on the coax jacket as I want the flooded heat
shrink bonded to it.
> My 2 el 40m Yagi loads up fine and plays with a 1.1:1 SWR at the low end
> which is where it is tuned. I am suspicious that I have a problem with the
> relay box at the top of the tower that is causing the extreme noise. (makes
> 40m completely useless) I’ve swapped out shack consoles for the RCS-4 with a
> spare. If I leave it on the 40m position for an hour or so, it will
> eventually blow the 1A fuse in the console with the +60dB noise level.

Sounds like a relay is not closing which would cause excessive current.
If your's is the direct wired unit, check each lead for current. If one
relay isn't closing it will show a higher current. Often the relays have
to be adjusted when first installed.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)