[TowerTalk] [lsdxa] K5LP Silent Key

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 00:21:16 EST 2008

Fellow Hams and Lone Star DX Association Members:

If this is true the amateur radio community and
fraternity has truly lost a valued member.

Lanny was an ARRL volunteer counsel and represented
many hams in their battles with city councils and even
homeowner associations trying to regulate antennas.
In the 1980s I remember he often was a control
operator for severe weather nets for Tarrant County
RACES and the Fort Worth-Tarrant County Emergency
Management Office

Even the American Radio League's paid counsel told me
once that Lanny was probably one of the best experts
on PRB-1, the FCC directive that prohibited unfair
regulation of amateur radio antennas in the United
States.  Lanny was the legal counsel who persuaded
several North Texas cities, including Dallas, to allow
hams to erect towers beyond just "reasonably
accomodating" them as PRB-1 called for.  He often
represented fellow hams for free as their legal
counsel.

In 1992 he represented me (pro bono--free) in a
lawsuit against Carolina Freight Company after one of
their forklift drivers broke several welds on a new
crank up tower I had bought from TriEx Tower Company
and my initial inspection failed to notice before I
mistakenly signed the bill of lading.  Carolina
claimed that I paid $1,300 and then "intentionally
damaged" it myself, when the damage was reported to
Carolina before their truck driver was even off our
street.

Lanny didn't charge me a thing, although I sent he and
his secretary each a 25 pound "ham" as a thank you
after the case was settled.  Yes, real pork, not the
kind that comes out of Washington D.C.

Lanny got Carolina to pay for a new tower, pickup the
old damaged one at not charge and return it to TriEx,
then located in Visalia CA.

A Carolina vice-president came to Texas several times
and represented himself as an "attorney" in the
proceedings here, but he failed to realize that Lanny
was then a member of the State Bar of Texas Bar
Grievance Committee, the group that decides if cases
for the unlicensed practice of law are recommended to
be filed.  That trucking company executive nearly got
himself indicted for claiming he was "legal counsel"
for Carolina Freight when he wasn't a licensed
attorney in Texas or any other state, nor had he ever
been to law school.

I believe at the time of his death Lanny was "of
counsel" representing an organization for the elderly
and the handicapped in Dallas.

Lanny was a long time member of the Lone Star DX
Association and a BIG amateur radio contester.

His key that is now silent will be missed on the air.

73 de Tom Anderson, WW5L
LSDXA VP and Information Director