[TowerTalk] Laport Book

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 14 13:08:44 EST 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:23:43 -0500, Craig Clark wrote:

>It is a bit dated (1942 copyright)

As one of my first Elmers said around 1950 when I asked if he was
buying a copy of the newest ARRL Handbook, "Ohm's Law doesn't
change," and that his 1930's vintage Handbook was good enough.

Obviously, lots has happened in radio and electronics since 1932,
but the laws of physics haven't changed a whit. What has happened is
that our UNDERSTANDING of the laws of physics has grown, and the
ways we have learned to use those laws has grown, so it is important
to keep up to date with that growth.

As an example, Henry Ott's book is generally considered to be "the
Bible" on EMC. First published in 1976, the second edition from 1988
is widely used in university EE courses, and he's working on the
third edition for publication next year. He is updating chapters
from the earlier book and adding (at last report) eight new ones.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC