[TowerTalk] AMP Fusion tape for sealing/waterproofing. DAVIS RF Co. input

Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. sdavis at davisrf.com
Sun Feb 17 21:21:19 EST 2008

Regarding  AMP Fusion Tape, I prefer that to any other waterproofing (vs. moisture proof) tape or adhesive backed (water proof) heat shrink (usually only 2/1 and 3/1), due to no heat required, no application before soldering or joining.   You can dispense with "marine electrical goop" (which needs overlaid wrap to avoid cracking from UV ...then the overlay wrap needs to be UV resist) or "sealing in mayonnaise jars", etc, etc.
Descriptive info from Dan Barnes (automotive engr):  "Heat-shrink tubing.. is limited to the sizes on hand, and can adjust to a limited range of diameters. Plus, it takes heat to install, which is not always desirable. Self-fusing tape achieves the ideal at which self-adhesive electrical tape aims.

With AMP Fusion self-fusing tape, there is no separate adhesive, so there can be no shmoo (edit: mess). The tape bonds to itself. My understanding is, polymer bonds are broken when the material is stretched. When it is wrapped around itself, it is just as easy to reform those bonds with the material in the adjacent layer of tape as within the original layer. Thus, the wrapping becomes a single, homogeneous mass. The result is almost like dipping the connection in plastic, but the process is dry, free of mess, and happens at room temperature. Removing it, if necessary, is just like removing any other insulation, since it sticks only to itself.  (edit:  Use a straight safety razor blade, or Exacto knife to cut a line down one side and peel off)."  end quote

Contrary to some of the descrip's that suppliers indicate, this tape is more than "moisture proof".  AMP has assured me that it is "waterproof" (to no specified immersion depth) and my marine electrical  customers use it in bilges, etc., therein water (two overcoats vs. one, for low voltage  DC applications, but , for liability reasons, WARNING:  I must say that a user must obtain from AMP a written spec before submersion for any application and this spec from AMP does not exist at present..... bear with me gentlemen......, if I characterize its waterproof aspect by the marine guys' immersed use, then some CB'r (ham wannabe of course) monitoring TT will seal his barrel joint from his RG58 to RG217 with this tape, then lay the cable through his father's tropical fish pond, turn on the high amp alternators and 10 kW RF, causing a fish fry as well as executing the neighbors in their swimming pools).  HI

Easy to use:  you just peel off the backing, stretch it and apply....it is NOT sticky or messy!  Simple instructions come with it from us.   You can find this fusion tape, and 3M33+ (flame/U.V. resistant electrical tape) on our web site at  http://www.davisrf.com/coaxseal.php

     Hope this is of some help!

73,  Steve Davis, K1PEK     DAVIS RF Co.

sdavis at DavisRF.com

978-369-1738

~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.DavisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484