[TowerTalk] Aluminum tower welds...Old Data circa mid1970's..........

res1q6fs roger.white at verizon.net
Mon Feb 25 10:58:46 EST 2008

Well, not sure what you mean by "regular" tower inspections. Once a month
seems a little extreme to me, unless you live in a extreme environment near
the coast and where there are constant high winds, corrosive atmosphere,
etc. How many of you out there inspect their towers every month, up and
down, as David suggests he does? I assume by your comment you do. That's
fine.

I have a couple of repeaters on a 450 ft. tower where I used to work and I
only see them inspecting it once a year on a regular basis. Yes, it is a lot
more beefier than mine and no doubt requires monthly inspections, but not
every month are they scrambling up the tower to the tune of many $$ the
higher they climb.  However, this "fella" did not, as a matter of course,
have an inspection routine ever so often, but would notice, as a matter of
common sense, if there was a problem as I climbed it. Previous to noticing
the cracked welds, I had climbed the tower a number of times over the short
time I had owned the tower and usually looked at the bolts, etc. as I
climbed. I was never fond of climbing the tower, so a short trip up a 50 ft.
tower would be a little longer for me as I slowly climbed. Hindsight always
being 20/20, now I do notice things a lot more, especially now that I have a
crankup tower with the cables, etc. I realize that product will and should
demand more frequent inspections, as nothing is holding the two tower
sections up more than a single cable and winch.

Roger W5RD