[TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 08:06:40 EST 2008

Larry DiGioia N8KU wrote:
> Could someone please explain how you can ground a coax shield, on a
> continuous run down a tower, without letting moisture and humidity get
> into it? Thanks!
>
> Larry N8KU

Waterproof N connectors, Female/Female Barrel/bulkhead feedthrough
that's grounded?

or

Strip outer insulating jacket off, wrap clamp around, solder, cover
thoroughly or pot it?

However, I don't know of a way to do it without cutting something.

Something else to think about...

What's the goal here?  Is it to provide a path from top to bottom of
tower for lightning? I would think the tower is a better path.  Is it to
  bleed off static type charges?  The shield ground back at the shack
will do that.  Is it to provide a path for induced current on the shield
from a nearby strike to get back to ground, without propagating to the
shack?  Given the fast rise time, maybe just wrapping the coax in a
grounded sheath is sufficient, and capacitive coupling through the
jacket will do the rest?  Is it because of some overvoltage issue on the
shield? Maybe letting the coax be the sacrificial fuse (i.e. let it arc
through the jacket) might be a good approach?

Just some things to think about...

Jim, W6RMK