[TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower

jimjarvis at optonline.net jimjarvis at optonline.net
Wed Feb 27 18:11:20 EST 2008

My comments were triggered by the chap who asked if he needed to run his coax to the base of the tower,  gnd it, and run it back up 10' for the run tothe house.   I was suggesting that he just ground it to the tower at 10', and move one.HOWEVER,  in general I agree with K4SAV,  that there are few redeeming virtues with flying the cables.   It simply increases vulnerability to damage.That said, however,  Dean Straw's YCCC stacks with perhaps 200' runs from tower to shack were @ 10'.   And,  I've run commercial AM stations, where the coax was suspended from an elevated catwalk, about 4' above a swamp.    Neither of these are ideal, in terms of lightning protection.   But both work.  The virtue of elevated cable runs is head clearance, or perhaps moose clearance, in some venues,  and critter protection, in those areas where burying is prevented by rock.  n2eawe've probably beaten this thread to death, so I'll make any further comments off reflector.