[TowerTalk] Bandpass Filters

Peter Forbes prforbes at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 9 22:47:33 EST 2008

Absolutely Al,

The filters work in two ways:

On receive you have minimal receive insertion loss at the frequency it is
designed for and deep notches (up to 80dB) on the adjacent bands.

On transmit you have minimal transmission loss on the frequency it is
designed for and heavy reduction up to 40dB per octave on adjacent
frequencies and in the case of the 3 resonator W3NQN design, this reduction
is equally good both above and below the design frequency, whereas with the
earlier 2 resonator designs it is not.

I have found that the filters work particularly well on attenuating the
wideband phase noise that solid state transceivers with their switched range
low pass filtering systems use.

For example, on the FT100D (and similar Yaesu transceivers), the low pass
filters switch in at 2.5,   4.7,   7.5,   14.5,   21.5,   33.0 and 70.5 Mhz,
so if you are transmitting on 10.1 Mhz, your wideband noise all the way up
to 14.5 mhz is being transmitted equally well at the same time.  Similarly,
if you transmit on 18.1 Mhz, your noise on 21, 24 and 28 is being
transmitted.     This often explains why certain expeditions have
difficulties with particular combinations of transmitting on multiple bands
simutaneously and not other combinations.

The use of the W3NQN filters on each transceiver, eliminates this problem
pronto!   (Even if you have amplifiers added after the filters, by the way.)

So essentially, for best performance, you need them both on transmit and
receive.

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI