[TowerTalk] MaineTower Site For Sale: Become the Strapper of the North!

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:41:46 EST 2008

If I were a hermit type, looking for a retirement home, with few other interests than ham radio, I'd consider it.  The economy in that part of Maine sucks, but with my SS and TN state retirement, I could easily afford the property and could eke out a comfortable living.  The big expense would be heating fuel.

Maintenance and taxes would far outstrip the cost of the property.

You could take down the microwave reflectors and put an 80m yagi on top of that thing that would withstand the ice storms!  Or build the shack  right on top of the tower - no feedline needed.  Assuming the tower is  located somewhere near the centre of the property, according to the map there is just about enough room to lay a full complement of quarter-wave radials for 160, and the tower looks to be just about the right height for a top band vertical.

I would like to see a ham get it and put a converted AM broadcast transmitter on 160.

Don k4kyv