[TowerTalk] Ferrite or choke baluns?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 18 18:05:46 EST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:42:24 -0500, jim Jarvis wrote:

>5x markup is standard in auto parts, as it is with manufacturers
for
>spare parts.
>What do you suppose Radio Shack charges for a 1k ohm resistor?
>probably costs them less than a penny,

I cannot agree, Jim. Not when I've done the research to tell them
precisely what to stock and users what to buy, they're stocking a
very limited number of part numbers, and they should be able to sell
in large quantities if they stock the right parts and market them
properly.

Of course it's costly to handle onesy twosy parts orders, but hams
should have reasonable access to 10-50 quantities at far better
prices than what these parts sellers are doing. And they're selling
so-called W2DU choke baluns that are vastly inferior to W2DU's
original design!

AND -- I worked for nearly 10 years in pro audio sales. I NEVER sold
a single thing at a markup greater than 1.5X cost (not being a good
guy -- the market simply wouldn't allow it!), and the vast majority
of it went at 1.3X. That was 25 years ago -- nowadays, a vendor is
lucky to make 1.1X.

And I don't buy resistors (or any other small parts) from Radio
Shack unless it's an emergency -- I'm in the middle of nowhere, and
I have to fix something. Besides, most of their stuff is cheap crap
anyway.:)

Back in Chicago, I helped organize a group purchase of nearly 2K
pieces of toroids and a smaller quantity of big clamp-ons. Here in
the Bay area, we've done nearly twice that quantity, and as well as
the other #31 parts in my Appendix 1. I'd guess that the average buy
was at least 20 pieces for the Chicago group and more than double
that for the NCCC group.

73,

Jim K9YC